Access Keys:

 
 
St John's P.S Gilford

Our School History

 

 

St. John’s Primary School was officially opened and blessed by the Most Reverend Eugene O’Doherty, Bishop of Dromore in September 1957.

The site for the new school was purchased in 1955 and once planning approval was granted work commenced on the site immediately.

On 16th August 1956 the foundation stone was laid by the Bishop and the school, costing £20,000, replaced Castle Hill National School (1879), located in the grounds of St. John the Evangelist Church.

Mr Patrick McFlynn was the first headmaster of St. John’s, having been appointed Principal in 1953.

On retirement he was succeeded by Mr Plunkett Campbell who served as Principal from September 1979 to August 1993.

Mrs Eileen Murphy held this post from September 1993 to August 1997.

In subsequent years the school has seen several changes to the school estate. The one constant throughout all these years, however, has been the strong tradition of serving the community of Gilford and surrounding area, a tradition the school continues to aspire to today.